The Virginia Green Industry is the fastest growing agricultural industry in the state.
The Virginia Nursery and Landscape Association funded an Economic Impact Analysis of the Green Industry in Virginia. Using data collected by the VA Agricultural Statistics Service and several other data sets for the calendar year 2002, we gained a comprehensive perspective of the industry.
- Almost 60% of all agricultural workers in the state are employed in the Green Industry.
- We contribute more than 40,000 jobs, almost 1% of the total State employment.
- Green Industry workers earn higher pay than the average agricultural worker.
- Green Industry workers are employed full time at a higher rate than other agricultural workers.
- Total Economic Impact $2.4 Billion in 2002.
- Consumers spent more than $1.5 Billion in products and services.
- Statewide sales of horticultural products in Virginia have increased 73% in the past 10 years.
- Nationwide sales have increased 68% over that same time period.
- Virginia is growing faster than the national average.
Strength in Diversity
- 62% of Virginia horticultural operations have annual sales between $1000 and $10,000.
Of total direct economic impact:
- Growers and Wholesalers accounted for 36%.
- Re-Wholesalers accounted for 13%.
- Landscape Services accounted for 20% (but more than half of employment)
- Retailers accounted for 31%
Click here for a full copy of the 2002 Virginia Green Industry Report: